Tuesday, November 22, 2011

99% Paleo Veggie/Beef Soup


I realize the picture may not be super appetizing, but this really was great. Probably very similar to any vegetable beef soup you've ever made. I always made my grandma's recipe, but it uses a package of frozen veggies which is now a no-go for us since it contains lima's and corn. I just realized, I should have added some okra! That would be a great addition. You can really add anything that sounds good to you or take away anything that you don't like. Get creative! I think I'm just now realizing that I can add garlic to whatever I want: it's not has terrible as my dad thinks it is!! ;-)

The reason I say 99% Paleo is because I used a carton of Trader Joe's Organic Beef Broth and one of the last ingredients is organic cane sugar. No sugar allowed in strict Paleo. Anyways, here are the ingredients. I just made it up, and then threw it all in the crock pot.

*Beef Stew Meat (Or ground beef)
*1 Onion-chopped
*4 carrots, peeled & chopped
*4 stalks celery
*3 cloves garlic
*some oregano, salt & pepper (some on meat before searing, some in crock pot with all ingredients)
*bay leaf
*1/4 bag shredded cabbage
*bag frozen green beans
*2 can organic diced tomatoes (do not drain)
*1 carton organic beef broth

Throw seasoned meat, cabbage, and onion in a pan with some olive olive. Saute until meat is lightly browned. Add all listed ingredients into crock pot. You may need a little water to fill up the crock as well as any other seasonings you'd like. I would recommend cooking on high. I tried the low setting for 7 hours and nothing seemed to get done. I cranked it up to high for the last 2 hours and it was much better and the meat got very tender.


No comments: