I know you want a play by play of my day, so here it goes:
I woke up and thought, "I'm going to make an appt. with my doc on Wednesday so I can get some answers about my ultrasound that I'll have today." I was being generous making it two days from now. When I call, they inform me my doctor has left the practice!!! WHAT?!?! Seriously, he's the best doc I've ever seen. So personable, kind, genuinely concerned, etc. Since he left no contact info, I just made my appt. with his partner for Wednesday.
Go to ultrasound appt. and the tech calls the radiologist in. She points to the screen and says, "there's a subchorionic bleed here, here, here, and here!" WHAT?!?! I'm being taken over by blood clots! Radiologist does speak with me after and show me where everything is. Still appears nothing is directly behind the placenta. Good news. The baby also looks wonderful! Everything about it is perfect. It even measures a week ahead of my calendar dates (and has for the past 3 ultrasounds). The radiologist made my report STAT and said I need to go to the doctor today. Ok.
Call doc and they very kindly had me, now as a new patient, come in right away. It's really weird to be discussing viability dates (how old baby must be to survive). I think it's mostly odd because I went from a "high risk pregnancy" with multiples that had NO complications, to what should be a very low-risk pregnancy and is not. I did learn that a baby can grow fine with just 20% of the placenta functioning. I found that QUITE encouraging! Although the blood clot is measuring longer, the volume of it is actually less than what it was at past scans. More good news!!
I guess the bad news is that now doc is really encouraging total bed rest. Gosh, this is such a mixed emotion topic for me. I think it's unhealthy for my body, but WHAT IF it does make a difference? The WHAT IF is where the debate lies. There aren't many studies on the benefits of bed rest, but like the doc says, which mom out there is willing to take the risk to do a study? hmm. I dunno! Anyone have any good info? It's also not necessarily a permanent thing. He said if we can make it to 24 weeks, the uterus usually stabalizes and may not pose such a risk. Right now, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, etc. all put strain and can make the clots go places we don't want them to and they could get under the placenta (which is the baby's life line) and start removing parts of it, No placenta in tact, no baby alive. Period.
I have a follow up appt. to hear heartbeat next week, and then an ultrasound the following week. Followed by bi-weekly ultrasound. My next question will be when I start seeing the Perinatologist? Seems like the logical next step (and I have experience with that from having twins).
If any of you have ANY information on large subchorionic hemorrhages, bed rest, or good hobby's to take up :-) PLEASE let me know!
2 comments:
Praying!!
wow. so is Wes home right now? I'm just wondering how in the world you are supposed to be on bed rest with your three small children!
Post a Comment