Monday, September 29, 2008

Apple Annie's Orchard/Pumpkin Patch



We had such a great day today! I had this idea to go explore this place thinking it was only like 30 minutes away. Well, turns out it was more like 1 hr. 15 min. drive. :-) We decided to go anyways and our main objective was to go to the pumpkin patch and let Elliot pick a pumpkin, but we got to do so much more!! There was a whole u-pick farm that we got to enjoy. You can get a little wheel barrow-like cart and buckets and go out to the fields. Elliot thought this was GREAT! Every vegetable we went to, she wanted to find a "baby-sized" one. We have the tiniest red peppers I've ever seen! Most of the squash were HUGE, so we got the smallest we could find-and the same with the cucumbers.

Picking a pumpkin was hilarious! Elliot had to have just the right one, and wanted it to be small. We thought we had one, but then it got rejected. We searched and searched and she finally found a miniature one that made her extremely happy! After I pulled it off for her, she ran toward Wes saying, "I got the perfect one Daddy." (which is cool, because lately she feels the need to call him Wes or Uncle Wes! haha)


OH...and they had caramel kettle corn which was probably one of the highlights of her day! I think that was pretty much her dinner tonight. oops!


Then, we headed down the road to the Apple Orchard. Here we had some apple smoked hamburgers and picnicked under the pear trees (or apple's...I dunno?) It was nice. Then we got a bucket and an apple picker and headed out to the orchard. It was super slim pickin's so we had to walk far to even find one apple (it's the end of the season). Elliot had a blast and loves carrying her own bucket around. A child's expressions are the most wonderful thing! I can't imagine this being nearly as fun as it was without her! It's so neat to see her explore, learn new things, and get so excited about things we think are mundane.


At the end of the day we got a slice of homemade apple pie and it was SOOOo good! Elliot said, "This place has apple pie?" with the biggest eyes I've ever seen! For dinner we enjoyed most of our pickings: fresh corn on the cob, green beans, tomatoes, and apple and it was delicious. So much for my protein intake, but it was great! To see more pictures of all the fun CLICK HERE.











Okay, so we totally got carried away with pictures....and here are 2 videos! Enjoy!


ELLIOT PUSHING HER WHEEL BARROW WITH VEGGIES!





WES and ELLIOT JUGGLING!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

We always went there when I was growing up. It's one of my favorite memories. I'm so glad you guys got to go. It looks like you had a blast!!

Kristina H said...

Sorry...that above comment was from me. My friend checked her gmail from my computer and didn't sign out. So... k8 is a friend of mine. :) So, the Willcox memories are mine. :)